On November 13, 2019 at approximately 10:00 am. Aylmer Police Service investigated a residential break and enter on John St. South Aylmer ON. Complainant reported that between the hours of 1:00 and 4:45 am, unknown person entered the residence via unlocked side door and stole a sheep skin chair rug valued at approximately $100.00. Anyone with information is asked to call Aylmer Police at 519-773-3146 or Crime stoppers at 1-800-222-8477. Residents are reminded that it is never a good idea to leave your house unlocked. With the holiday season approaching, those involved in criminal activities tend to be more active. Here are some crime prevention tips to follow to make your home less likely to be a target of a break and enter:
- Lock your windows and doors at all times even when you leave briefly and keep your valuables in a safe or lockbox when you go out.
- Change passcodes on electronic locks and garage doors from time to time.
- Keep your windows covered and your garage locked so valuable items are out of sight.
- Install motion sensor lights, deadbolt locks and upgrade patio/sliding glass door locks.
- Trim shrubs and bushes to eliminate hiding spots, and never hide keys outside.
- Don’t announce your vacation or trips on social media.
- If you go away for an extended period, make your home as f the home has the lived in look.
- Change the locks when you move into a new home, condo or apartment, or if your keys are lost or stolen.
- Opportunistic criminals commonly target unlocked cars. Don’t leave anything valuable in your car and always lock the doors.
- If you live in an apartment or condo building, close the door behind you when entering or exiting the building. Report any security concerns, such as dim lighting around entrances or points of easy access, to your property manager.
For more information on crime prevention, contact the Aylmer Police Service.