The Elgin County Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) observed a vehicle being driven erratically on Talbot Line near Centennial Road around 1:00 p.m. on November 9, 2019.
Officers then observed the vehicle driving through a field northbound. Officers followed the tracks and watched as the driver fled the scene in the area of Ron McNeil Line and Yarmouth Centre Road near a wooded lot.
St. Thomas Police Service, along with Middlesex County OPP officers supported with containment of the area. The OPP Canine Unit was called in to assist in the apprehension of the driver. Police recovered one stolen rifle and one stole shotgun.
35-year-old Christopher GAUDIO of Malahide Township was arrested without further incident and stands charged with:
- Possession of a firearm obtained by crime X2
- Dangerous driving
- Unauthorized possession of a firearm
- Operating a motor vehicle while prohibited X2
- Possession of a firearm contrary to a probation order
- Possession of property obtained by crime under $5,000
The accused was held for a bail hearing at the St. Thomas Ontario Court of Justice on November 10, 2019.
Anyone with further information is asked to contact the Elgin County OPP at 1-888-310-1122.